The general overview of the project
The project consists of two main components:
Component 1 is focused on the development of an Information System “Population and Migration Statistics” (IS PMS), administered by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) that will use the administrative data available from the holders of information systems in the Republic of Moldova. The purpose of IS PMS is to provide the NBS with the possibility to produce and provide reliable and accurate data, both for monitoring the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the agenda of the International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD) in the Republic of Moldova, and to ensure decision-makers, academia, business and civil society with relevant and timely data, to develop and monitor policies, conduct surveys and evaluate the results, etc.
On the strength of this project, the National Statistical System will be modernized by extending the use of administrative data in the production of official statistics.
Improving the availability and use of administrative data for statistical purposes is a commitment stipulated in the Strategy for the Development of the National Statistical System 2016-2020 and recommended by Eurostat, as part of the Adapted Global Assessment of the National System of Statistical Data of Moldova. From the experience of developed countries, which produce official statistics on population and migration on the basis of public registers, a system that integrates them serves as an interoperability platform for the exchange of administrative data designed to increase the opportunity for the statistical office to access administrative data, as well to reduce the production costs of official statistics, which as a result can generate statistical data and provide more accurate and detailed estimates for different sub-populations, including vulnerable groups. IS PMS will be a complex informational and technological support for the preparation of future population censuses and in the long term it will support the National Bureau of Statistics in the transition from the traditional census to the one based on registers.
Component 2 is focused on the involvement of the Ministry of Health, Labor and Social Protection that holds data for a set of administrative registers for the health, labor and social protection sectors. The activities in this component will strengthen the efforts of this project to create a mechanism for the regular collection of data for ICPD indicators, in particular those related to sexual and reproductive health and gender-based violence. There are two main areas of intervention. The first is the development of registers and data collection questionnaires for indicators on gender-based violence (GBV) and sexual and reproductive health (SSR), which will be applied in the primary, hospital, emergency and forensic sectors of the health care system. The second area provides for the study "Generations and gender", which will allow the collection of the most comprehensive demographic data based on the survey. The GBV and SSR component will be implemented jointly with the implementation partner "Women's Law Center" and the National Agency for Public Health.
The main objectives and activities
Objective 1: By the end of 2022, the National Bureau of Statistics owns an Information System "Population and Migration Statistics", based on available administrative data.
Activity 1.1: Assessment of the available administrative data and the ways of developing the Information System "Population and Migration Statistics".
Activity 1.2: Development of the Information System "Population and Migration Statistics", based on available and relevant administrative data.
Activity 1.3: Improve the national capacities to use administrative data in the production of official statistics using international best practices.
Activity 1.4: International Technical Advisory Committee on the use of administrative data in official statistics.
Activity 1.5: Share the national experience at regional and global level.
Objective 2: By the end of 2022, the Government of the Republic of Moldova has a robust mechanism for collecting administrative data and survey-based data on the ICPD agenda in the SDGs.
Activity 2.1: Incorporation, collection and analysis of GBV and SSR indicators in the health information system.
Activity 2.2: Carrying out the survey "Generations and gender".
- Development of the Information System “Population and Migration Statistics”, which will merge data from several sources / registers of administrative data according to international regulations and practices in official statistics on administrative data.
- Improve the availability of statistical indicators for monitoring the ICPD agenda within the SDGs..
The contribution to the SDGs
- SDG indicator 17.18.1 “Proportion of sustainable development indicators produced at national level, with complete disaggregation when relevant to the target, in accordance with the Fundamental Principles of Official Statistics”.
- SDG indicator 17.19.2 "Proportion of countries that (a) have conducted at least 1 census of population and housing in the last 10 years and (b) have recorded 100% births and 80% deaths".
- SDG indicator 1.4.1 "Proportion of the population living in households with access to basic services".
- SDG indicator 3.7.1 "Percentage of women of reproductive age (aged 15 to 49), whose family planning needs are met by modern methods".
- SDG indicator 3.7.2 "Adolescent birth rate (age 10 to 14 years; 15 to 19 years) per 1,000 women in that age group".
- SDG indicator 5.3.1 "Percentage of women aged 20 to 24 who were married or in a union before the age of 15 and before the age of 18".
- SDG indicator 5.4.1 "Proportion of time allocated to unpaid domestic and care work, by sex, age groups and areas of residence".
- SDG indicator 8.6.1 "Percentage of young people (15-24 years old) not included in education, employment or training programs".
Igor Condrat, Mr., Project Manager, Administrative Data and Information System "Population and Migration Statistics",Tel: +373 68166998E-mail: email@example.comLuminița Aramă, Mrs, Administrative / financial associate of the programTel: +373 69824068E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgUNFPA, United Nations Population Fund,Secondary office: office no. 802pp. Grenoble, no. 106Chisinau, MD-2019,Republic of Moldova.
Implementation and project partners
- United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA Moldova), in partnership with the National Bureau of Statistics and the Ministry of Health, Labor and Social Protection.
Project financial assistance:
- India-UN Development Partnership Fund, through the United Nations Office for South-South Cooperation
- Ministry of Health, Labor and Social Protection
- United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA Moldova)